Disneyland

Disneyland

Friday, April 10, 2009

Alyssa's Shakespeare Play

Last night Alyssa had her official debut in her first Shakespeare play. Actually 2 plays. Her class put on Macbeth and Twelfth Night. Alyssa has been looking forward to performing Shakespeare ever since she first saw the 6th graders perform when she was in the third grade.
They had auditions a couple of months ago and even thought Alyssa didn't get the parts she was aiming for she jumped right in with the gusto of a true born actress. The class did the set, props, sound effects and even costumes. Alyssa never once asked for help with lines and it wasn't until I saw the extent of all she had to memorize that I was truly impressed.


The caliber of the performance was outstanding for a group of sixth graders. I know that I couldn't do half the job that they did.


In Macbeth, Alyssa had a few minor roles. At one point she witnessed the murder of her child and her facial expressions and "fake" crying were truly believable. She did quite well as an extra even though it wasn't her favorite.




















She had a larger role in Twelfth Night. This play was a little less dark and more entertaining to watch. She played the part of Maria, a lady in waiting to a countess. She had several lines and delivered them all with confidence and a dramatic flair like no other. Of course we always knew that she had the natural tendency towards "drama". Well it paid off. She didn't miss a line. Her character was a little bit of a schemer and at times it seemed as if she wasn't acting at all. She did a fabulous job and I was quite proud.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience for her and she hopes to someday be in other plays or musicals on a junior high or high school level. I look forward to many performances in the future.
















1 comment:

  1. Her natural instincts are paying off. I can see her personality in several of these shots. Lovely vidoe! She nailed the sassiness.

    ReplyDelete