Disneyland

Disneyland

Saturday, April 25, 2009

1st day of Soccer



Well it happened. I mean I started down this road many years ago and I should have known the outcome. And yet I proceeded to continue down the slippery slope and now there is no turning back. Yep, I am a Soccer Mom. All of my children are now playing soccer and between practices and games I spend a lot of time hooking up shin guards, tying up cleats, washing uniforms and carpooling from one field to another. I don't know what I expected so many years ago when I signed up Alyssa. She just looked so cute in her uniform and it was fun to cheer her on and now here we are still doing it.

Actually, I have to admit, I love it. There is something about being outside in the spring air with the sun shining down while sitting in a camping chair and cheering at the top of my lungs. I have enjoyed seeing the progress my children have made throughout the years. We gone from just being "cute" to actually being competitive and "good". It is fun to see the kids play with more skill and more understanding of strategy and teamwork. And when they are done with each game, I love their rosy cheeks and how exhausted they are from running up and down the field.




I also realize that these are the things I should enjoy at this time of my life. There will always be housework or things to do in the yard, but for this brief moment in time we can be together as a family cheering each other on. I couldn't ask for more.




So last Saturday was our first day of games this season. Even though we started later in April this year we still were unfortunate enough to have a cold day. The wind was blowing and the threat of rain was constant. Luckily it held off until we were through. Roger and I are coaching Brianna's team. I missed the game (I was at the other field with Alyssa and Ryan) and I was sad. Apparently Brianna has some natural ability and took right away to the sport. She scored 3 goals. I am sure it helped that she is a foot taller than most of the kids and one of the oldest. Oh well, it was a great boost of confidence for her.


I watched Alyssa and Ryan's game. I was in my winter coat and had a blanket wrapped around me. I was thankful that Megan sent a warm bean bag thing with Trent, it helped me survive the 2 hours in the cold.

Alyssa went to a few BYU women's soccer games with grandpa last year and it lit her on fire. She was so ready to go out there and show her stuff. She had one of her best games ever and scored 2 goals. One with even with her left foot. She had a ton of fun and it looks to be a great season for her. It is especially fun for me to watch her.

Ryan had his first game on the full-size regulation field. For the last several years he has mainly played goalie. But his coach this year put him as a half-back and forward. He held his own in those positions and I was quite proud. He ran the entire time and came close to scoring a couple of times. He and his friend Tyler are some of the younger boys on the team. I expect them to do great things in the games to come as they learn more skill and techniques. But as long as they are having fun, that is all that matters.


So it was a great day and I am sure the fun is only beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment