
When I was at the zoo, the other day I was reminded about an experience that Roger and I shared when we were living in Ohio. Since my journal skills have been somewhat lacking over the years, I am going to attempt to write about past memories when it strikes my fancy.
So back to the tigers. There was this place in Ohio, some sort of refuge for Siberian tigers. Now tigers are Roger's favorite animals, so when I heard that you could actually get up close and personal with the tigers, I couldn't pass it up.

So for his 28th birthday (holy cow that was forever ago), we went to this place. There were these massive Tigers in a huge cage. After some briefing about what to do and not to do when playing with tigers, we were allowed in with these amazing creatures. It was somewhat intimidating, they were huge. The owners were with us and snapped many a picture as proof that we pet and played with animals.
At one point, one of the tigers opened his mouth and gently bit down on my knee. I must admit it was kind of terrifying. Even though it wasn't too hard, I could feel the power in his jaws and knew in a moments notice he could break my knee right in half. The owner said to give him a smack on the nose to get him to let go, but I just couldn't do it. So the owner did, and he
let go immediately. I actually had bruises the next day and you could see where his teeth held on to me.
After playing with the big tigers, we were able to play with a cub. It was so cute. He would chase a rope that you dangled in front of him. He acted just like any other kitty but on a much larger scale. Roger especially liked the cub.
It was a great day. I am glad that we were able to do something so unique. Whenever I look at the photos, I still marvel at the fact that we were actually face to face with tigers. I
believe that the foundation was eventually shut down due to some unfortunate accident where someone was injured. I am glad it wasn't us.
So back to the tigers. There was this place in Ohio, some sort of refuge for Siberian tigers. Now tigers are Roger's favorite animals, so when I heard that you could actually get up close and personal with the tigers, I couldn't pass it up.

So for his 28th birthday (holy cow that was forever ago), we went to this place. There were these massive Tigers in a huge cage. After some briefing about what to do and not to do when playing with tigers, we were allowed in with these amazing creatures. It was somewhat intimidating, they were huge. The owners were with us and snapped many a picture as proof that we pet and played with animals.
At one point, one of the tigers opened his mouth and gently bit down on my knee. I must admit it was kind of terrifying. Even though it wasn't too hard, I could feel the power in his jaws and knew in a moments notice he could break my knee right in half. The owner said to give him a smack on the nose to get him to let go, but I just couldn't do it. So the owner did, and he
let go immediately. I actually had bruises the next day and you could see where his teeth held on to me.After playing with the big tigers, we were able to play with a cub. It was so cute. He would chase a rope that you dangled in front of him. He acted just like any other kitty but on a much larger scale. Roger especially liked the cub.
It was a great day. I am glad that we were able to do something so unique. Whenever I look at the photos, I still marvel at the fact that we were actually face to face with tigers. I
believe that the foundation was eventually shut down due to some unfortunate accident where someone was injured. I am glad it wasn't us.
How cool! I just stared in astonishment at just how big those tigers were in comparison to you and Roger. Trent would love to do something like that one day. What a great outing --I am glad that you were safe. Did the kids get to read the blog and see the pictures? It's one of Tyler's favorite things to do.
ReplyDelete