I wanted to take a minute to write about my Grandma Mary. I don't know where to begin to express how much she means to me. She is one of the strongest most amazing ladies you could ever meet. She has always been a part of my life and has positively influenced me so much.
My grandma has always been independent. She had to take care of my grandpa most of their married life. She is strong and loving and compassionate. She is 84 years old and up to about a month and a half ago, the grandma I always knew. Then everything changed in an instant. She suffered a stroke.
We were fortunate, she got help right away. And even though she lost the use of her left side, she was still positive and working through it. She was in a rehab center and doing well. We visited her and laughed and shared stories and it felt like it was going to be ok.
But then another setback. She fell out of her bed 3 times in one night at this assisted living center. She hit her head and they found blood on her brain. It has been downhill from there. I visited with her and we cried together as she expressed her frustration about everything being taken from her in an instant. She didn't know how to live it she couldn't be herself.
Well on Thursday she had either another stroke or seizure. She is back in the hospital. Since Missy and I are leaving the country, we had to get up there to see her. We went yesterday. She is not doing well. She is drugged up and slept most of the time. But for a small instant, she opened her eyes and looked at us. She gave us a big smile and we talked with her. I am told that this is the only type of reaction she has had in 3 days.
To make a long story short, the end is coming. My mom and her sister and brothers will take her home this Sunday and provide hospice. They have stopped all invasive measures. They are taking her to the place she loved to let her peacefully go and slip back to our Heavenly Father and my grandpa. I am incredibly sad. It is hard to let go. I know it is for the best but it is still hard. I am so grateful for the gospel and the understanding we have about the purposes of life and what happens afterwards. I am just struck by how fast things can change and how precious life is each and every day. I don't know if she will go while I am in Peru, but I know it will be ok. Thank you Grandma for making me a better person and reminding me about what is important in life. I love you.
I am so sorry . . . The gospel is very healing and reassuring, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteHi Mommy,
ReplyDeleteI am going to be at the viewing and funeral so I will get your programs and stuff. Love you.
Alyssa