Disneyland

Disneyland

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Alyssa the Teenager

Today is Alyssa's 13th birthday and I wasn't there on the account that I was still in Peru. However, I left her in the capable hands of her father and I knew that her birthday would be just fine. I was in communication with her via e-mail and when I asked her how her birthday was this was her response:

"Hi Mummy,I have had a wonderful day today.... the best birthday to date. I only wish you could have been here with me.I got 2 cakes, a blanket, an ornament, slippers, a watch, John Bytheway CD's, the princess parable book, Resees cups, a CELL PHONE (I could NOT believe it..... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!), Sims 3, and 2 shirts. Oh, and I almost forgot Kristin Llama.I can't wait to see you tomorrow!Love,Alyssa"

See, everything turned out just fine. I feel the need to offer a little explanation about the whole cell phone thing. For a couple of years now, Alyssa has begged and pleaded for a cell phone and the answer has always been the same . . No. We were just not ready to go down that road. Then Alyssa began Jr. High and any number of reasons started to pop up of why it would be beneficial to us as parents to allow her to have a cell phone. Alyssa is a very responsible girl and we knew that she wouldn't abuse the privileges of having a phone. So we finally succumbed to her pleading. Because we had made it perfectly clear that she would never ever get a cell phone she was not expecting it in the slightest.

So Roger devised a plan. He first wrapped up the box that my cell phone came in just to play a little joke on her. When she opened it, she just laughed and said very funny dad. He then gave her the next present. As she was opening it, Roger dialed her new # and the box began to ring. She was somewhat slow in figuring the whole thing out much to the chagrin to Roger. He expected a much bigger reaction than he got. She insists that it was because she was in shock. Nonetheless, she is now a happy cell phone owner and we are now the most awesome parents in the whole world!

Another neat thing about her birthday was that Alyssa had the opportunity to go and do Baptisms for the Dead at the Temple and her Dad got to go with her. He was able to baptize her which was a special experience for both of them. I am happy to know that on such a milestone birthday she chose to be in the Temple. She is a good girl.

Later the family went to Matt and Courtney's house to celebrate the twins' birthday as well. They had cake and ice cream and hung out together. It is nice to party with family.

1 comment:

  1. The temple trip idea just took my breath away. Amazing, Roger. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete