Right now it is 8:30 at night and I am sitting outside on the deck enjoying a perfect summer evening. Ryan is in the backyard playing wiffle ball with the neighbor kids and Brianna is with the other Brianna petting the neighbor's dog. There are sounds of laughter mixed with the sounds of crickets and I couldn't be more content.
I just got back from visiting a neighbor who has pancreatic cancer. She has been fighting it for a year and I think she is finally nearing the end of her battle. I sat and talked with her and her husband for awhile and realized how fragile life can be. I came home somewhat somber and yet so full of gratitude for my life and the good health of my family. This life is a guessing game and you never know what might come your way. I know that I need to enjoy those wonderful moments that seem so simple and yet are so meaningful. At this moment I am so content that I am just enjoying soaking in all the good around me.
Today was the first day in weeks that I haven't had to leave the house for some school event, church obligation or kid commitment. It was so nice to be home and relax during this day. I got a lot accomplished around the house and also had some fun with the kids. It was the perfect balance.
The kids have so much fun doing the simplest things. They are lucky to have so many kids in our neighborhood. They never lack in companionship. Even though my door was constantly being left open and numerous empty water cups were left on my counter top I didn't mind. This is what summer is all about.
One of the highlights of the day was when local firemen came and
opened the fire hydrant in front of our home to clean it out. The kids screamed and giggle and loved getting wet. You would have thought it was Christmas. Many kids followed the truck as it moved from hydrant to hydrant. Boy it was fun.
I am sure someday I will look back and long for these times. I am doing my best to appreciate what I have while I have it.

Thanks for calling us!!!! We would have loved to have come down for that. I didn't hear a thing and we live next to a hydrant so I'm not sure if they came up here.
ReplyDeleteGood run this morning. I'm thinking we need to lengthen it next time. Half an hour isn't as beneficial as 45 or 60!