The first day of school!
Normally this is a cause for celebration. Usually at this point in the year, moms are counting down to the time when they can have that wonderful peace and freedom that school affords. Kids are anxiously assembling their school supplies and dreaming of recess, friends and even learning. But this year, it just came way too fast.
I don't know why I have been dreading the end of summer. Maybe it is loss of carefree days of sleeping in, playing and reading in the sun, having no set schedule and hours of conversations with my kids. Maybe it is the thought of colder days to come. Maybe it the frantic pace of carpools, soccer games, early morning scripture study, homework, chores, and school functions. Perhaps it is the knowledge that someone else now has more time in influencing my children's lives each and every day. Who knows. I even wonder if deep down inside, the fact that my youngest child is gone for the whole day makes me a little melancholy.
I find myself in a weird position. It doesn't feel like that long ago when I dreamed of having just an hour to myself. When I was in the thick of diapers, nap times, car seats, tantrums and all that comes with it. The idea of doing errands by myself seemed so elusive and yet enticing. And here I am at the other end, with a quiet house and endless possibilities. I realize that once again I must reinvent myself as a mother of all school children.
Don't get me wrong. I am excited in many ways. I have 13 years of projects to catch up on. I hope to even have a completely clean and organized house at some point. There is a list a mile long of things to do. I am sure I can keep myself busy. I just hope that I feel that all my productivity is meaningful.
Needless to say, the kids went to school whether they were ready or not. Brianna was thrilled. She has been counting down the days, She loves to learn and couldn't wait to be a 1st grader. Ryan was okay with going back. He had an activity in the summer with his teacher and I think it got him a little excited for the fun things ahead.
Alyssa has been dreading it. Well at least she acts like it. Deep down I know that she truly enjoys school and couldn't wait to get back to see her friends. She is 13 after all and has to act like it is uncool.
So I got some neat pictures to start the day. My children have grown so much and I am so proud of them. I wouldn't trade them if I could (now you know I am being a little nostalgic :) Anyway I love them and I hope their day is as wonderful as mine. (Roger took me to breakfast and then I got a pedicure).
No comments:
Post a Comment